Friday, December 24, 2010

Santa Kisses

I am thinking that these are going to become a tradition in our home to make for Santa. I tried several different kinds of cookies but none have stuck out as "the one" that we make every year as a tradition. The girls and I tried these out today and they turned out great! They loved them and we named them Santa Kisses. So easy too. Simple little "Kiss" size meringues topped with crushed candy canes!
They actually came to be by accident and I didn't realize it until I went to blog about it. I couldn't find the recipe in the cookie book I was using. I then realized I was looking at two seperate recipes and accidentally combined them. Took a little from one that I liked and a little from the other. What a good oops!

yeild 32 cookies

2 egg whites
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
1 crushed peppermint candy cane

Heat oven to 225 degrees.
In a bowl, mix egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1 tbsp at a time, the sugar, until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar has dissolved.
Place meringue mixture into a pastry bag, or a ziploc bag with the corner cut off. On a foil lined baking sheet, pipe 1-1/2 inch mounds, forming a kiss shape. Sprinkle lightly with candy. Bake 1 1/2 hours, until dry, but not brown. Remove from oven, cool, and store in air tight container.

No comments: