Saturday, January 22, 2011

Fish Tacos

For years I have been on the hunt for the perfect fish taco recipe. I myself am not a big fish taco eater, but Bryan is. Ever since he had them in LA a few years ago, the search has been on. I will make them, and they will turn out "OK, but not like the ones in LA." Or, we will go out to eat and I get the same answer.
Until now.
I feel I have finally perfected the fish taco. And what a great achievement. How do I know? He ate 5 of them the night I made them, on his birthday, and finished leftovers the next day (absolutely unheard of for him to eat leftovers.)
Two things I have learned in my search. It is all about the fish you use and the sauce. That is it.
You have to use a good fish. Tilapia or Cod just wont due. Usually Mahi is great. But, the market didn't have any, so I tried Cobia which ended up being perfect. It is more "fishy" but it has a great buttery taste to it when cooked.
Oh, and the batter. Something I have NOT perfected. So, I go with the store-bought fish fry batter. You can't go wrong there. In the meantime, something I am still searching on perfecting.
So, you ready for this super easy recipe?


FISH TACOS
1lb good market fresh fish (I use Cobia or Mahi)
1 box fish fry batter
Shredded cabbage
Kicked up black beans (found HERE)
corn tortillas
Fish Taco Cream Sauce:
1/2 cup plain yogurt

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1 lime, juiced

1 jalapeno pepper, minced

1 teaspoon minced capers  

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed

1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper


For the sauce, mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
Cut fish in small strips, about 1 inch wide. Fry according to fish fry batter directions.
Serve fish in tortilla shells with cabbage, black beans, and cream sauce.

No comments: