Friday, March 9, 2012

Breakfast Quinoa

I was introduced to quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) a little over a year ago. Well, I should say I tried it for the first time. I have always heard about it, but never tried it. It is a grain, most typically prepared like a rice dish with veggies and such. It is small, round and when cooked becomes transparent. But, the wonderful thing about this is that it is an amazing protein superfood. This stuff is packed with protein. So, for vegetarians this stuff is great.
I, being one who does not like breakfast, is allergic to eggs, and the only real thing I enjoy to eat, oatmeal, I have to be careful of unless it is certified gluten free, needed to try something. What if I cooked this grain and prepared it like I would my oatmeal? I mean, it works with rice, right? Rice pudding is delish, by the way. So, I cooked it and instead of water, used milk, and added some brown sugar, and fresh berries. And, it was amazing. My new favorite breakfast. Bonus, packed with that protein so with my busy schedule, it keeps me going until lunch time!
Breakfast Quinoa
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups milk
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
Bring milk to a boil in a small pot, add quinoa and cook for about 8 minutes. Add brown sugar and cinnamon. Continue to cook until the quinoa has soaked up all the milk and it is cooked through. Serve with added milk, brown sugar, or fresh berries....or all of the above.
Makes 4 servings
(I make a batch and keep the left-overs in the fridge for the rest of the week)

1 comment:

Mandy said...

i tried it!!! its good!!