Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Blueberry French Toast Bake

Years ago my father gave me a recipe book that I love. This recipe in particular he had highlighted as one that we may like to try. And, it took me this long to finally get around to it. I wish I had not waited so long. I am not a blueberry person, but this is delish. I cut a few things out of the recipe, like the 16oz of cream cheese. We have made a french toast bake before, but never with blueberries. And, I am sure you can add whatever berries you want to it. But, I have to say, the syrup is what makes it. The best part, if you have leftover syrup, it goes wonderfully on ice cream....so I've heard.


Blueberry French Toast
1 large french baguette
1 cup blueberries
12 eggs
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 cups milk

Cut bread into cubes and arrange in greased 9x13 pan. Pour blueberries on top. Beat eggs, add maple syrup and milk. Pour over bread and cover tightly with foil. Refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours. To bake, preheat oven to 350. Bake for 30 minutes covered, uncover and bake for and additional 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.

Blueberry Syrup
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp corn starch
1 cup water
1 Tbsp butter
1 cup blueberries

Stir sugar, corn starch, and water over high heat in a saucepan. Add butter and blueberries and cook until the blueberries pop. Serve warm over french toast. (or ice cream!)

No comments: