Friday, January 14, 2011

A new approach

I have been wanting to change our eating habits big time. A few problems I have encountered. Eating healthy, first, gets kinda pricey. Second, I have a family of 6 and that is hard to make a big change. Dont get me wrong, we dont eat unhealthy, but we dont eat like we should. We arent downing twinkies and ding-dongs for breakfast, but we arent exactly following the food pyramid. Its hard when there are a lot of picky eaters and you have to cook for a big family and I dont necessarily like taking all day and night to cook my dinner when I have a 19 month old screaming at my feet.
But, with the new year, I have wanted to start getting my children to eat better and enjoy it. Thats the hard part.
My approach to this was to go at it slow. It is overwhelming thinking about changing our diets completely. So, if I go at it with a slow approach, maybe it will be easier. Little things, like using whole wheat flour instead of white bleached flour. Having fresh fruit and veggies readily available for those quick snacks. As a busy mom, that is the hardest thing for me. I get hungry, buy dont have the time to sit and fix something, so if I have those fresh veggies already cut up in the fridge, I will grab that instead of the cookie in the pantry. Baby steps, right?
Well, as I was thinking of this and re-vamping my blog here, hunting for new recipes that were healthy, clean, yet fun and something the kids would enjoy, something else popped up. The Relief Society, the women's group at church, is starting with the new year, a 7 week healthy habit challenge. Perfect! Not only am I doing this, but I'm not doing it alone! (if you want to know more about this challenge, let me know...and I'll fill you in!)
So, what better time to kick up my blog than now! I already have SO many recipes I can not wait to share. I have been checking them out left and right. I just dont want to post anything without trying it first. So, stay tuned. I am so excited to get this going, not only for myself, my family, but for my readers as well! And dont worry, you sweet toothers (dad), I'll keep posting some of my favorite desserts!
Oh, and if you have a recipe to share, let me know! I would love to hear from you and try them out and post them here as well!

No comments: