Friday, January 7, 2011

Smothered Chicken

Have you ever had one of THOSE days? You know, kids come home from school and by the time you finish homework you realize its dinner time and you have no idea what to make? This is one of our favorites, well, one of my favorites, when that happens. It is easy and the kids love it. And, I usually have all the ingredients on hand so I don't have to hunt around for something.

1 pound chicken breasts
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
4 strips of bacon, cooked
4-5 slices American Cheese

I usually start by frying the bacon (or baking it, however you prefer). While that is cooking, in a large fry pan (I have a grill fry pan that works perfectly for this) melt 1 TBSP butter and 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil on med-high heat. Sprinkle chicken breasts with Lawry's....my seasoning for EVERYTHING! Place in hot fry pan and cover for 8-10 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink. Turn off heat. Place one piece of bacon on each piece of chicken,  and top with a slice of cheese. Cover pan for 2 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
Now, my little secret....I get the Veggie-Cheese from the produce section. It is a dairy free vegetarian cheese but tastes just like American cheese. That way, the kids get some veggies without even knowing it. (Bryan, if you are reading this, I don't make yours with it!)
It is wonderful served as a sandwich on a kaiser roll, but if you don't have any, it is perfect alone!

No comments: